This marinara sauce is extremely simple and very tasty. My grandson, who does not like red sauce, enjoyed it so much in a ravioli casserole I made he requested it for his birthday dinner. I seldom have both crushed and diced tomatoes on hand at the same time, so I blend whole tomatoes before adding them to the olive oil/garlic mixture and it turns out great.
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves minced or grated garlic
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS dry basil
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat, stirring often, being careful to not let it brown. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until it begins to thicken slightly.
- Stir in basil, sugar, and season with salt.