I chuckled as I finished up my first batch of enchilada sauce. I knew the recipe was simple and easily accommodated specific dietary needs, yet even with my limited ingredients, the final result was still wonderful! My friend makes it without garlic powder… I did not have onion powder… and the recipe called for cornstarch! Part way through I recalled I had given mine away, and not wanting to substitute wheat flour, I eliminated the extra water included in the original recipe, cooked it a bit longer, and it turned out great! Not to call myself a fool, but with my history of creative culinary escapades, I always appreciate something that is pretty much foolproof…
- 1-2 TBS. chili powder
- 1 TBS. oil of your choice
- 1 cup chicken broth (could use beef or vegetable)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in saucepan over medium heat
- Add chili powder, and stir for 1 minute. It will become aromatic.
- Stir in broth and heat until simmering.
- Add garlic and onion powder.
- Stir in tomato sauce, continue to simmer to desired consistency, salt to taste, and enjoy!
Makes 2 cups.