The need to make dill pickles became apparent after reading labels. They all contain ingredients Anna can not have, the primary one being sugar. With a few simple modifications dill pickles are available to her once again.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup vinegar… I use corn based such as Heinz
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
Combine water, vinegar, and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- pickling cucumbers
- 2-3 peeled garlic cloves per jar
- 1-2 heads of dill per jar
- 2-4 slices of jalapeno or other hot peppers per jar (or to taste)–wear rubber gloves when handling peppers being careful to not touch your face.
- Wash jars thoroughly. Place garlic, dill, and peppers in bottom of jar packing cucumbers on top. They can be whole, quartered, or sliced. Fill jar with cool vinegar mixture making sure to cover top of cucumbers. Put on lid and refrigerate. Enjoy in approximately 2 weeks.