Lemon bars with velvety smooth tart lemon curd became a family favorite in recent years. I finally had found the perfect ratio of crust to tart creamy topping and although they were time-consuming to make they were so worth it. With Anna’s food sensitivities I set about looking for a modified recipe that would allow us to once again enjoy lemon bars. This definitely is an acceptable variation and disappears all too quickly from the pan as I hear repeatedly, “Who ate all the lemon bars?!?!” Enjoy!
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 9″ x 9″ pan with aluminum foil.
- Mix with pastry blender or fork until crumbly.
- Press into pan making certain to get in the corners.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until crust is lightly brown.
- Prepare custard while crust is baking.
- Custard Layer
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pear/pineapple sweetener
- 1 TBS corn starch
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1//4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut.
- Place all ingredients in blender mixing until thoroughly combined (approximately 5 seconds).
- Pour mixture onto hot crust and bake 15-20 minutes, until the center is set.
- Cool and enjoy!