As the arrival of fall awakened the desire to breathe in aromatic delights from the kitchen, my search began for a new recipe. After tasting this cake it became apparent I had a winning recipe that could lend itself to modifications. With its moist texture and sweet flavor it is reminiscent of carrot cake with a much simpler ingredient list. This cake vanishes as it is consumed by passers-by, and is perfect for guests.
- 1/2 cup buttery spread (substitute 1/4 cup pear sauce, 1/4 cup butter)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour (wheat or wheat free flour blend)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In medium size bowl, cream together buttery spread and sugar.
- Mix in syrup.
- Add eggs one at a time beating until incorporated.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and carrots until the flour is mostly incorporated.
- Add nuts, stirring gently.
Spread in greased 8″ x 8″ pan–tapping pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes until edges pull away slightly from the pan, and the center is set.